Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rats. Gotta keep coming to work

I don't play the lottery because (1) I'm too cheap; (2) the odds are astronomical; and (3) I'm afraid of some of the people who routinely line up to buy tickets at the nearby Stop 'n Rob.
But I did buy in for Tuesday night's $212 million Mega Millions game because, well, it was $212 million. Some co-workers got together and bought 50 tickets. If I hadn't bought in, and they'd all won, (among other regrets) I would have been the only guy at work today, and I don't know how to run some of the software programs here in the office, so things would be a mess. So I bought in.
I did not win, but I was helpfully reminded about the validity of (3), noted above.

2 comments:

  1. "(3) I'm afraid of some of the people who routinely line up to buy tickets at the nearby Stop 'n Rob."
    You do know that Californian editors have been known to buy lotto tickets there...
    I don't buy lotto tickets. Every time I think about it, I can hear my math professor's discussion on probability. So I use my dollar to buy me a Pepsi instead. But you are right -- people are looking for ways to win big and win big fast esp. in this tough economic time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These people have my money.

    WHITEHOUSE STATION, N.J. (AP) — It may go down as the best memo Bob Space ever wrote: “We won the big one!”
    He sent it Wednesday morning to nine fellow employees at an insurance company in central New Jersey who may soon share a $216 million Mega Millions jackpot.
    The 10, who work in Chubb Corp.’s technology department, showed off their winning ticket Wednesday outside the office in Whitehouse Station.
    Each person threw in $5 toward a 50-ticket purchase, which Space made Monday night at a Singin Oil gas station in Toms River, near his home in Manchester and the Garden State Parkway entrance he uses to go to work each day.
    Lottery officials say no one has officially come forward to claim the prize yet, but the ticket the group showed to reporters Wednesday matched the winning numbers. The 10 have not discussed when they will claim the prize but have a year to do so.

    ReplyDelete