Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Paid your taxes?

I'm a member of an editorial page editors' listserv, and we share ideas, complaints and warnings on a regular basis. (Too regular for me sometimes.) Warnings usually involve "turf," or phony, manufactured grass-roots letters (synthentic, like Astroturf -- get it?). It's stuff that's supposedly from the heart of one's own community but isn't.

One such "turf'" letter started popping up Wednesday. I doubt anyone will publish it because it's unsigned and mass mailed, but it sure speaks to the frustration many people feel these days (even though I'd argue that participating in a civilized democracy ought to cost you something):

"Now that America is broke and no money left. I am broke and also no money is left. I am so sorry to inform you that I will not be able to pay my taxes owed April 15, but all is not lost. I have paid these taxes: receivable tax, building permit tax, CDL tax, cigarette tax, corporate income tax, dog license tax, federal inome tax, waterfowl stamp tax, inheritance tax, inventroy tax, liquor tax (lately a lot of this), luxury tax, medicare tax, city, school, and county property tax, real estate tax, social security tax, road usage tax, toll road tax, state and city sales tax, recreational vehicle tax, state franchise tax, state unemployment tax, telephone exercise tax, telephone federal state and local surcharge tax, telephone minimum usage surcharge tax, telephone state and local tax, utility tax, vehicle licence registration tax, capitol gains tax, lease severance tax, oil and gas assessment tax, I have run out of space so I will not name any more.

"When you do not receive my check April 15, just know that it is an honest mistake. Please treat me the same way you treated Congressman Charles Rangle, Chris Dodd, Barney Frank and ex-Congressman Tom Dashelle, and of course, your boss Timothy Geithner, no penalties and no interest.

-- No name

"P.S. I will make at least a partial payment as soon as I get my stimulus check."

No comments:

Post a Comment