Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Perfect time for college

I had the foresight to create a college fund for my two kids a few years ago. I did not have the foresight to see the collapse of the stock market. So my kids (13 and 16) are out about $12,000 of the money we dutifully (and sometimes painfully) set aside for their college. This occurs just as my 16-year-old sophomore is being deluged with letters from universities all over the country. Some big ones, some tiny ones I'd never heard of. Cambridge, even. Yes, the one in England. I don't even want to know what tuition is for Cambridge.
When I was in high school, I got one letter from a university. One.

2 comments:

  1. I never got any letters. Unless you count parking tickets from concerts I went to on campus...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's both a curse and a blessing to have high achieving kids: it's a blessing in high school as you swell with pride at their accomplishments. It's a curse when they decide on the private school where tuition is $35k and room and board is another $10k. And that's before pizza money.

    ReplyDelete