Sunday, May 3, 2009

Jurors in the Bakersfield molestation cases speak

After having written Sunday about a juror in the Pitts molestion case of 1985, I heard from two more jurors today, one who worked the Kniffen-McCuan case, another who didn't say which case she was on. Here, without their names, are their e-mails:

I read your article in today's paper (Juror left to ponder fallout of reversals) with emotion. I too was a juror in one of the molestation trials and it was a wrenching experience. I had a one year old baby I had just weaned and was in the joyous rapture of young motherhood (I was 31 at the time). Why I was selected as a juror ran continuously through my mind for years. Day after day we heard the burning testimony of the children,watched the blank faces of the accused and took voluminous notes. On the day we found the two defendants guilty I cried. I was consumed with a sadness I have not felt since. After the other jurors left one of the district attorneys approached me -I was sitting in the courtroom crying. He said to not feel bad about the verdict, it was well deserved and there was even more evidence that absolutely proved guilt but was not admissible in court. I ended up in counseling for several months. How could anyone do what these people did to the children? I still relive those days and wish the best for the children - now adults. What kind of parents are they? How has this influenced their roles as mom and dad? You were right to remember the jurors in the trials - we were damaged too.
s/anonymous juror

Thank you for your article. Finally someone has remembered the jurors in those cases. Mary K Stanley spoke my sentiments exactly. I was on the Kniffen-McCuan trial and I went through the same thing. I didn’t want to find the parents guilty, but the facts and children made them appear guilty.
s/anonymous juror

I also got an irate phone from a guy who left a message. Didn't I know how much stuff the DA screwed up? Didn't I know how badly these defendants were treated? Didn't I do any research? I know a lot about these cases, and anybody who has paid attention knows they've been broken down over and over in The Californian and elsewhere. Lord knows I am leading the league in harassment of this DA. But this story was about the jurors, the one group central to the story that's been pretty much ignored. Sorry -- somebody had to tell that story.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it bother the people of Bakersfield that their DA is such a chump. That he would go to extremes to convict innocent people for his own political gain. Doesn't it bother the people of Bakersfield that there are actually a population of ignorant people who believe the DA's B.S.

    I'm miffed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just like to say to the innocent that were accused that God is always watching and He will put karma to work on those corrupt Kern County (un)officials. I just watched Witch Hunt on MSNBC and am in utter disgust. The supposed officers of the law and the police/county representatives ruined hundreds of lives. They deserve 15-20 years in prison for their unspeakable acts of hate and disrespect.

    ReplyDelete